Thursday, November 8, 2012

FO Friday: Snöflinga Hat



I'm trying to get more comfortable in front of the camera for the sake of family history. Over the last year I've been going through our family pictures and realized I'm hardly in any of them.  There's not one of me and Oliver since he was a baby. How sad. My husband hates taking photos and I am not thrilled being photographed, but things need to change. I love looking at pictures of my parents when they were younger and it would stink if O were denied that same pleasure. Plus, I don't want my photo phobia to rub off on him.

Luckily, Oliver loves to take pictures so I "hired" him for a photo shoot earlier this week. He's good at getting me to smile naturally. Here, he said, "Mom, are you really just 45?" (I'm about to turn 48. What a little charmer he is!) I love Jenny Gordy's (aka Wiksten) style -- her Tova blouse pattern is in my "to sew" queue -- so when she offered her Snöflinga knitting pattern for sale, I snapped it up and immediately cast on.

Snoflinga hat


It's a very simple hat, but like most things in life, simple is better. A garter stitch brim, some fun bobbles for details, a swirly decrease pattern at the crown ... what more could you want? I was iffy on the yarn I was using -- Patons Classic Wool, it was the only worsted weight I had on hand -- but it ended up an excellent choice. The marl actually feels like a blend of merino and cashmere, and it's so soft and warm, like a hug for my head. It took two nights to knit, and the only bit that gave me any trouble was the crocheted thingy at the crown. Next time I'll just skip that. And there will be a next time because I'm ordering some Brooklyn Tweed Shelter for another version ... maybe in Hayloft or Fossil?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!