Monday, December 23, 2013

A knitted teddy bear

Knitted teddy bear

Last week I was listening to the Knitting Pipeline podcast, and my ears pricked up when I heard Paula and friends oohing and ahhing over a cute knitted teddy bear one of them had made. As I've mentioned here before, my son loves stuffed animals; in fact, he had a friend over last night, and when I woke O up this morning, Goatie (stuffed goat) was tucked under his arm. He just doesn't care if kids tease him and shrugs it off, reasoning that they've probably got some "childish" habits, too.

I checked out the pattern and it was, indeed, cute as all heck and reviews said it was easy to knit. Some knitters had completed all the knitting while watching a movie. That's my kind of pattern!

My teddy was knit with a partial skein of Bernat Pipsqueak, an acrylic novelty yarn that was perfect for this project: it knits up into a soft fabric that hides a multitude of seaming sins, of which I committed many. Like many knitters, I found this to be a quick knit; I accomplished all of it while watching Skyfall on Netflix. Mmm, Daniel Craig ... such a sexy Bond!

I wanted my little bear to have a Christmas-y look, so instead of knitting the scarf, I tied a tartan ribbon around his neck. As for the nose, or lack thereof ... I don't know. I kind of like him without one. He looks less threatening (O has a bear phobia). What do you think?

For the next couple days I've got to crank out the knitting and clean up the house. I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. So cute. :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that bear! I'm going to check out the pattern. If it really is as easy as you say I will put it in my growing queue of things to knit for Lucy. As for the nose, I think you should let your son make the call on that one. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jan and Kristie, and a Merry Christmas to you both! Kristie, this would be a wonderful present for Lucy - it's a nice size for a baby and I could see it becoming a treasured toy for a grandchild. On top of that, such nice results for an easy knit ... you can't go wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!