Thursday, March 1, 2012

Director chair covers and a bookcase paint job

From this:

Director chair - before

To this:

Director's Chair - after

I've had two director chairs gathering dust around the house. The hot pink (??) covers were faded and ugly, and when I went out to price the cost for new covers, I realized I'd be out $40 for something halfway decent. Since I'm pretty handy with my sewing machine, I decided to make new covers. I bought a yard of bright yellow cotton duck at Joann's for about $5.50 (after using a 50% off coupon), which was more than enough fabric for two chairs.  I carefully picked apart a set of the pink covers and measured seam allowances/fold lines, then used the deconstructed covers as templates/patterns for the new covers. It took me less than an hour of cutting and sewing, and I dare say, they look as good -- maybe even nicer! -- than the ones I saw for $20 elsewhere.

Then we had this unfinished bookshelf that I used in my old pantry to store canned goods and kitchen equipment. I forgot to take a "before" photo, but here's the "after." We're using this on the other side of the livingroom to hold my son's books, Legos, and other belongings:

Bookcase redo

I think my husband is rather horrified with my color choices of late: tangerine orange, lime green, daffodil yellow. But I love the play of bright colors against neutrals like cream and gray. Wait till I do my dining room reveal in a couple weeks!


  1. Oooh, you're making me want to take a paint brush to my entire house!

  2. You might want to rethink that -- I love to paint but after two rooms I was DONE.

  3. Great job on the chairs! And I love your bright colours. You can tell your husband that you have an online fan base who thinks the bright colours are perfect. :-)

  4. Thank you! I think the bright colors work, too.


I love comments!