Saturday, April 10, 2010

The 8 worst toilets in the world

I'm fascinated by toilets around the world. (My big goal in life is to visit the Sulabh International Museum of Toilets next time I'm in India.) Not sure why this fascination, except it might be a genetic quirk, a healthy infusion of Anglo-Saxon blood that makes anything poo-related utterly engaging to me. This personal quality, btw, horrifies my husband.

I've traveled a bit around the world, and I'm always eager to adopt local standards for relieving myself, whether on squat toilets, street loos, and open urinals. Closer to home, I was poking around YouTube and found some absolutely horrendous toilets that I hope never to encounter on a trip.

A squat toilet isn't so unusual in China. But with this one, you'll need your waders when you flush:



This toilet aboard a Chinese ferry boat has a unique flushing system. However, you might want to skip eating the local seafood once you're back on land:



The owners of this Chinese toilet are so protective of their facilities, they're got a dog standing guard. (Warning: salty language). Poop at your own risk!



This was the "better toilet" near the Great Wall of China. I'd love to see what the other toilet looked like:



At least you can have a loo with a view in Tibet. You just have to walk the plank to get to it:



In this African locale, the bathroom experience is strictly DIY. On the plus side, you can pretty much choose your seat. Bonus: toilet paper!



Imagine relieving yourself with an audience. In this Brazilian bathroom, you don't have to imagine it. Hundreds of eyes will be on you:



The crown for the worst toilet in the world goes to this one filmed in Odessa, Ukraine. Warning: don't eat while you're watching this video; you can practically smell the horror through your computer.

2 comments:

  1. For toilets that are famous for being quirky and not disgusting, try the Hundertwasser toilets in Kawakawa, Northland, New Zealand. After the famous artist moved to a tiny NZ town, he designed the local toilet block and it has been a tourist attraction ever since http://bored-bored.com/amazing/hundertwasser-toilet-probably-the-most-photographed-toilet-in-the-world/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, what a cool toilet! I can't wait to go to New Zealand (and not just to see this toilet). :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!