Tuesday, March 1, 2011

FO: Tangerine & Marmalade Socks

[caption id="attachment_1150" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="(funky, druggy photo quality intentional)"][/caption]

 


Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.


-- John Lennon, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds


I make no apologies. As a child of the 70s, I prefer Elton John's version of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds. There are few greater simple pleasures in my life than listening to Mr. John belt out the chorus in the last two minutes of this song, preferably at high volume. However, Lennon gets props for the awesome lyrics. Rocking horse people who eat marshmallow pies!


Which brings me to my latest finished object(s), a pair of socks that look as they should be tucked away in a drawer until Halloween. The yarn, Filatura di Crosa Maxime Print in colorway 5048, was purchased at Hub Mills Store in Lowell because it looked like Spring to me. I suppose all the dreary, gray February weather had gotten to me and the yellows and oranges made me think of sunshine and daffodils. Knitted up, though, all I can think of is candy corn and tricks & treats. Rather than call them my Candy Corn socks, though, I've settled on Tangerine & Marmalade in honor of LSD and their psychedelic appearance. And yes, you can read what you like into that. The BBC certainly has.


Full details for the knitting obsessed:


Yarn: Filatura di Crosa Maxime Print, 80 percent Merino wool superwash, 20% soft polyamide


Needles: Size 2 dpns


Pattern: from Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks. I knit her basic 6 stitches-per-inch sock with 3x1 ribbing on the leg. Excellent pattern for television knitting.


On the Telly: Downton Abbey, all 6 episodes


 


 

1 comment:

I love comments!